Re: VIDEO WITHDRAWAL POLICY

Tony Neal (tony@linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us)
Wed, 28 May 1997 08:22:44 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, Carol, I agree with most of what's been said by others on this
subject. There was a time, in the mid 80s, when it might have made sense
to keep an eye on total circs of videos because there were lots of
problems with the thickness of the tape, dropout problems, etc. It seems
that around 300 or so circs was when a tape neared its lifetime. Now,
they can run @ 7-800 circs with little appreciable wear. Usually it's the
dirty tape heads that do the tapes in. I just don't worry about the total
circs and, like Ellen Druda says, they'll pretty much weed themselves.
It's getting hard enough to just keep up with replacing those that need
to be replaced and selecting new stuff to worry about total circs.

On Tue, 27 May 1997 carolh@charly.publib.saskatoon.sk.ca wrote:

> The Saskatoon Public Library has a policy of withdrawing videos after 250
> circs. Do other libraries have automatic withdrawal policies? If so, how many
> circs do you give each video? Thank you in advance for any information.
> Carol Hutchinson
> Saskatoon Public Library

Tony Neal
Media Librarian Phone: 360.405.9101