Re: DVD and teaching practice

Steven Kramer (PicPal@ix.netcom.com)
Sat, 24 May 1997 13:20:09 -0400

At 09:12 AM 5/22/97 -0700, Oksana Dykyj wrote:
>This is the first mention I hear about potential problems in skipping around
>from section to section and using close analysis functions. Has anyone
>experienced any of the problems Pratt mentions?
Pratt's attitude boils down to, DVDs only cost $20 apiece, so it's no sweat.
He has greater difficulties with the players, especially the combo players
being marketed now. The hardware is actually the source of some of the
viewing limitations like not being able to toggle between audio tracks, not
being able to view in scan mode, "sqashed" letterboxing, etc. DVD's visual
novelty is the same as any high-end digital technology: it's *too*
responsive and too detailed, but that can go either way. Even the *video*
copy of the demo disc for the upcoming LIVE titles shows that DVDs are
unlike previous releases. In the segment of Terminator 2 you can much more
easily see where they substituted dummies and where they used strings! That
may actually be useful to some viewers. We'll probably note as much when we
update Pratt's site starting at http://picpal.com/lasernotes.html.
Steven Kramer
PicPal