RE: Needs Advice

Stan Diamond (sxd@psulias.psu.edu)
Thu, 08 May 1997 14:17:47 -0500

Steve,
I would say that the use you describe would be appropriate without PP
rights, but not under Fair Use. Your use would come under section 110, the
Face to Face Teaching Exemption rather than section 107, Fair Use. In my
earlier post I was thinking entertainment or informational uses rather than
direct instructional uses.

>Stan,
>
> With regard to videos being shown in churches, I agree that
>the showing of a video to an auditorium of people informally
>gathered would not be permitted without a public performance
>licence. But, what about Bible classes? Bible classes that
>meet every week in the same room, with the same teacher/leader
>using a regular curriculum, the same select small group meets
>in a classroom setting, and the Bible class lasts for three
>months. The video has a direct connection to the curriculum
>of the Bible class, and is not shown just for "entertainment."
>To me, structured Bible classes like this are the same as
>the education fair use under the Copyright laws for public
>schools. Any thoughts?
>
>Steven L. Cassel, Media Consultant
>State Library of Ohio
>65 S. Front Street, Room 502
>Columbus, OH 43215
>
>(614) 644-9958
>(614) 466-3584 FAX
>
>scassel@winslo.state.oh.us

>Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 08:59:19 -0400
>From: Stan Diamond <sxd@psulias.psu.edu>
>To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
>Subject: Re: Need advise
>

>.However, if the library intends to use these videos as part of
>in-library programs (such as story hour) or loan them to church groups or
>fraternal organizations who intend to use them as part of public programs,
>then the library needs to purchase public performance rights for these
>materials...

Stan Diamond, Manager (814) 863-3100
Audio Visual Services (814) 863-2574 (Fax)
Special Services Bldg (800) 826-0132 Order line
1127 Fox Hill Rd, sxd@psulias.psu.edu
Univ. Park, PA 16803 HTTP://www.libraries.psu.edu/avs/
Find out about the Penn State third annual Transforming Classrooms
Through Technology Conference May 28,29,30. http://is04.ce.psu.edu/C&I/TCTT/