Re: Internet resources

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 08:55:48 PST8PDT

Kristine: I know this reply has nothing to do with other listservs
which review titles (ABC CLIO are you out there?); however, I would
like to add that as a finding source, particularly when a requestor
has just a partial title or author, you can't beat FirstSearch's
WorldCat. This tool saves me hours and hours of work.

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 20:33:52 -0700
From: "Kristine R. Brancolini" <brancoli@indiana.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Internet resources

Please excuse the cross-posting to videolib and videonews.

For a presentation on using the Internet for collection development, I've
organized the resources into three categories: listservs, online
newsletters, and websites.

I have a couple of questions for you:

Do you know of other listservs like Videonews? I don't know of another
listserv that provides information about new releases (or publications)
and services offered to the library community.

The two online newsletters I use are PBS Previews, which updates the PBS
Online website, and LaserScans, which provides reviews of new optical
discs and news about developments in the industry. Do you know of other
similar newsletters that help you in your collection activities?

Of course, in my presentation, I will be talking about how invaluable all
of you are. I plan to use my recent query about sources of Indian videos
as an example. You would not believe all of the helpful information I
received in just a couple of days. I couldn't have found it in any
published source or on the Web--contrary to popular belief!

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries
brancoli@indiana.edu