Re: DVD compression tactics

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:18:35 PST8PDT

We don't intend to move on DVD until or unless it becomes a standard
in industry and there are many positive testimonials. Money is too
tight here to leap on to every new technology bandwagon. We have a
"dynamic" collection - we don't have any intentions of archiving or
preserving store-bought titles and, currently, VHS and laser-disc
work just fine. A title wears out, we just buy a new one.

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 07:09:54 -0700
From: Steven Kramer <PicPal@ix.netcom.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: DVD compression tactics

At 10:17 AM 4/15/97 -0700, Oksana Dykyj wrote:
> I tend to agree with Kristine. My purchases are content oriented. When I'm
>asked to find a title I look for it in the best possible medium to suit the
>presentation.
I've actually been asked to write something about DVD too, and I was going
to cite the complete lack of attention the matter has gotten on this list
(until now of course) as an indication of at least a wait and see attitude
among academic librarians. I've seen DVD/LD side by side. In terms of
whether or not DVD is an archival medium, I'd like to know if others agree
with me. DVD's compression scheme doesn't mesh with one thing central to
filmmaking - movement! Play of light effects like anything shot through
smoke, etc., cause the image to look banded like really bad ROM or online
video. The guy who showed me this told me the future of digital media will
have to avoid anything that will cost too much to compress or look bad when
compressed. That sounds as if we will conceivably - in a DVD dominated
media world - have a replay of the introduction of sound, when everyone had
to stand around near the mike. There's something roundly uninspiring about
the prospect of DVD "talkies" to me.
Steven Kramer
PicPal