Re: DVD compression tactics

Steven Kramer (PicPal@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:08:36 -0400

At 10:17 AM 4/15/97 -0700, Oksana Dykyj wrote:
> I tend to agree with Kristine. My purchases are content oriented. When I'm
>asked to find a title I look for it in the best possible medium to suit the
>presentation.
I've actually been asked to write something about DVD too, and I was going
to cite the complete lack of attention the matter has gotten on this list
(until now of course) as an indication of at least a wait and see attitude
among academic librarians. I've seen DVD/LD side by side. In terms of
whether or not DVD is an archival medium, I'd like to know if others agree
with me. DVD's compression scheme doesn't mesh with one thing central to
filmmaking - movement! Play of light effects like anything shot through
smoke, etc., cause the image to look banded like really bad ROM or online
video. The guy who showed me this told me the future of digital media will
have to avoid anything that will cost too much to compress or look bad when
compressed. That sounds as if we will conceivably - in a DVD dominated
media world - have a replay of the introduction of sound, when everyone had
to stand around near the mike. There's something roundly uninspiring about
the prospect of DVD "talkies" to me.
Steven Kramer
PicPal