Re: DVD

Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:54:43 -0500 (EST)

Beth: There just are not enough DVD machines or software out there yet
to consider it an alternative to laserdisc. I support my software
collection with equipment. I have no plans to buy a DVD player right
now. Besides, there are only about 20 films on the market! Even if
there were 100, I'm not ready to shift to a new format that does not do
anything a laserdisc cannot do. So, short answer. No, I am not putting
off further laserdisc purchases. I will probably begin a DVD collection
someday, but not today. And I will probably buy VHS, laserdisc, and DVD
simultaneously for awhile. BTW, there are still plenty of laserdisc
titles being released. Lots more than DVD. My users still need new
releases and most of them are on laserdisc, not DVD.

I look forward to other librarians' responses to this question.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries