Re: Why 2-day checkout?

Karen C. Driessen (karend@selway.umt.edu)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:23:30 -0600

period in response to a very instruction dependent demand on most of the
video collection. In contrast to the traditional print collection of over
half a million titles, the video collection has less than 7000 titles.
Most items are needed by faculty or students because of their classroom
needs. In order to try to meet this needs, we also have a 2-day checkout
period. We make exceptions for both faculty and students if they request
the checkout for a longer period because of a legitimate need. Hope this
helps.

At 06:53 AM 4/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm curious to hear your responses to the following. We have, as I
>think most libraries/media centers do, a shorter borrowing period for
>videos than for books. In our case, a college library, we
>allow semester checkout of books for faculty/staff, 4-week checkout
>of books for students, and 2-day checkout of videos, regardless of
>classification. (We do, however, extend the video loan period for
>faculty when requested.) MY QUESTION: How do you "justify" this
>shorter-than-books checkout period? I have my own opinions, but I'd like to
>hear others'. Thanks much!
>
>Susan Albrecht
>Library Acquisitions/Media Center Assistant
>Wabash College
>Crawfordsville, IN
>albrechs@wabash.edu
>
>***"Changes aren't permanent, but change is."--Geddy Lee***

Karen C. Driessen
Director Phone: (406) 243-2856
Mansfield Library FAX: (406) 243-4067
Instructional Media Services E-mail: karend@selway.umt.edu