Re: Why 2-day checkout?

Cathleen Cummings, Media Coordinator - SRJC (ccumming@floyd.santarosa.edu)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:21:49 -0700

At 06:53 AM 4/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm curious to hear your responses to the following. We have, as I
>think most libraries/media centers do, a shorter borrowing period for
>videos than for books. In our case, a college library, we
>allow semester checkout of books for faculty/staff, 4-week checkout
>of books for students, and 2-day checkout of videos, regardless of
>classification. (We do, however, extend the video loan period for
>faculty when requested.) MY QUESTION: How do you "justify" this
>shorter-than-books checkout period? I have my own opinions, but I'd like to
>hear others'. Thanks much!
>
>Susan Albrecht

Our videos are purchased for classroom use and can be viewed in our
Media area in the library with instructor permission. We do not check the
videos out to students to take home because we usually have only 1 copy.
However instructors check out as needed for classroom use. A shorter
check-out than for books is essential or access is denied to other users.
And it gets very harried when multiple instructors need the same video and
students need to review as well.

Cathleen Cummings
Media Coordinator, Santa Rosa Junior College
1501 Mendocino Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA- USA 95401
ccumming@floyd.santarosa.edu