Re: Why 2-day checkout?

Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:06:53 -0500 (EST)

Susan: Here's my justification. The pattern of use for videorecordings
is different than for books. Most books take more than a couple of hours to
read. Books lend themselves to browsing and dipping into. This is not the
case with videorecordings. Most people watch the video once or twice and
they are finished using it. We have had a one-day loan policy (with
extensions possible) in place for about ten years. I have never received
a complaint about it. When people need exceptions, we make them. I have
permitted students writing dissertations and faculty working on research
to borrow the tapes for longer periods when they really do need ready
access to the work. And if we need the tapes back for students or
classroom showings, the students and faculty who have them out on
extended loan are always cooperative.

Most people are happy that the videorecordings are here when they need
them!

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries
brancoli@indiana.edu