Re: Barcodes on videos

Karen C. Driessen (karend@selway.umt.edu)
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 09:01:45 -0600

I want to report on our experience with labels on the videocassette itself.
We have been putting our barcode on the long side of the cassette (that
goes into the cassette recorder) since we first went to an automated
system. (About 4 1/2 years) We were told by our technical people that
this was probably the safest place to put them since nothing within the
recorder touches that side of the cassette. They must have been right. We
have never had a single problem with them coming off. We have more than
6500 video titles in an actively circulating collection. We also rent our
videos to other libraries and individuals around the country and have never
heard of a problem from those users either. I hope this helps and Good
luck with your new automation endeavors!

At 06:31 AM 4/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I think the danger in putting labels there is that they may come off in
>a machine, possibly damaging it. This in turn may damage tapes that
>are subsequently played in the machine.
>
>My feeling generally is that you shouldn't mess around with that side of the
>cassette.
>Maybe there are other concerns.
>
>At 04:33 PM 4/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>Dear Video Librarians,
>>
>>We are in the process of automating for the first time. We want to be able
>>to put the barcodes directly on the videos, to save the step of opening the
>>case to ensure that the video has been returned. Our first choice is to use
>>the cases that have a hole cut out on the long side of the video case,
>>because these would fit under our scanner. We would then put the barcode on
>>the long side of the video.
>>
>>The problem is, we have been told that you should not put any labels on the
>>side of the video that goes into the machine first. However, we have noticed
>>that many videos come with manufacturer's labels already there!
>>
>>Does anyone have any experience with putting labels on the 'in' side of
>>videos? Also, any other words of wisdom on this subject will be greatly
>>appreciated!
>>
>>Janice Coles
>>Niagara Falls Public Library, Ontario, Canada
>>jcoles@niagarafalls.library.on.ca

Karen C. Driessen
Director Phone: (406) 243-2856
Mansfield Library FAX: (406) 243-4067