Re: Renaming "Audiovisual" -Reply

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:03:37 PST8PDT

"Electronic media" doesn't work for us because we have many nonprint
formats that are a "medium" but not electronic, for example, rocks, skulls,
bones, kidneys laminated in plastic, slides, etc. What about Multimedia
Dept or Learning Resources Dept or have these labels become extinct?

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 09:49:42 -0700
From: Stan Gilliam <stan@pals.guilford.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Renaming "Audiovisual" -Reply

How about Electronic Media?

A related story: A few years back we had a Public Relations Director who
insisted in using the word "media" in every other sentence-- referring, of
course to Broadcasting and Publishing ..." THE media. So I asked him to
desist, since we had copped the use of the word before he came. I think he
wanted to call his office "Media Relations."
Luckily he did not last long, and the department has since been named
"College Relations."
So, in the Media Center we now throw the word around with impunity.;
We set up a viewing/listening area in the library calling it the Media
Alcove. I think someone on the Media-L listserve came up with this name.
Good luck.