Re: media management systems

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:10:03 -0700 (MST)

Shirley,
I was the AV Dept. head in an IL. library system as well as several public
libraries and a library director in two college libraries/AV Dept.
Depending upon if you are looking for a total turnkey system to checkout
all materials (including books, media - book (schedule) media in advance,
perform collection development reports, printing shipping labels, etc., I
would try Inlex/DRA out of Santa Monica, CA. Ameritech's Horizon system
is supposed to be developing a media booking system also. These are
high-priced, total systems. A separate media booking system which allows
much flexibility in terms of booking, patron telephone bookings, off-site
computer access, etc - sold by RTI/Tek Data from Lincolnwood, IL. I
really liked this system - it printed labels, pull lists and packing
lists. Another company in Antioch, IL, Paulmar has a similar booking
system (for a lot less money) that performs similar functions and looks
good - both systems are IBM PC-based, they don't require a minicomputer.
I'd call/write them for demos/prices/demo software. JCS.