Re: public performance rights

Jim Scholtz (
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:33:04 -0700 (MST)

Sarah, the "teaching exemption" stems from the U.S. Copyright laws 1976
and only applies to U.S. schools (in this case elementary, secondary, and
college/universities). You would have to check the Canadian code for a
similar exemption for Canadian copyrighted works. Also, you might talk to
a lawyer about various "laws of reciprocity" regarding copyright
exemptions from country to country (Does U.S. copyright law take
precedence when a person in another country uses a work holding a U.S.
copyright? - not being a lawyer, but a librarian, I would say yes, if that
work is not also copyrighted in their country, and that person would also
be subject to U.S. laws). Let me know what you find out. This would be
an excellent question to ask A.I.M.E. (a copyright organization for
schools, etc. her in the U.S. - located in Elkhorn, IA). JCS.

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Sarah Hainsworth wrote:

> In the most recent issue of "Video Librarian" there is a short blurb about
> Schools and the Public Performance Myth - the paragraph says that if you are
> planning to use videos in a "face to face teaching situations, as part of
> the curriculum" you don't need public performance rights. Does this apply
> only to American schools or does it also apply to Canada? Can anyone
> clarify? Thank you.
> Sarah Hainsworth
> Media Librarian, Education Media Library
> Learning Resources and Technology Division
> NS Department of Education and Culture
> 3770 Kempt Road, Halifax, NS CANADA B3K 4X8
> (902)424-2439 (voice) (902)424-0633 (fax)
> email: