Re: public performance rights

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:33:04 -0700 (MST)

Sarah, the "teaching exemption" stems from the U.S. Copyright laws 1976
and only applies to U.S. schools (in this case elementary, secondary, and
college/universities). You would have to check the Canadian code for a
similar exemption for Canadian copyrighted works. Also, you might talk to
a lawyer about various "laws of reciprocity" regarding copyright
exemptions from country to country (Does U.S. copyright law take
precedence when a person in another country uses a work holding a U.S.
copyright? - not being a lawyer, but a librarian, I would say yes, if that
work is not also copyrighted in their country, and that person would also
be subject to U.S. laws). Let me know what you find out. This would be
an excellent question to ask A.I.M.E. (a copyright organization for
schools, etc. her in the U.S. - located in Elkhorn, IA). JCS.