Re: black sci fi

Harold David Rennie (aa349@chebucto.ns.ca)
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 00:20:30 -0400

I don't know about that episode, but I'm very surprised that
no-one has so far mentioned the early episode in which Capt. Kirk kisses Lt.
Uhuru. In the late 1980's, CBC Radio ran an interview with the black actress
who played Uhuru. If my memory of the interview is correct (and since I
don't recall the actor's name, perhaps that's not to be assumed!) the
interviewer referred to it as the first inter-racial kiss on U.S. network TV.
(if so, then were there no scenes of whites and natives kissing? or might
he have meant black/white specificially?). Regardless of how true this
statement is, the actor reminisced that it created quite a stir.
Harold Rennie
Halifax, Nova Scotia