Re: Video on search techiques

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:50:49 -0700 (MST)

Kathy, I'm a freelance reviewer for Booklist and I've seen 2 videos which
may be worth a look-see for you: Surfin' the Net (Visual Arts of America,
Inc.) and The Video Guide to the Internet, 2nd ed. (Visual Edge Prod.).
These titles have been favorably reviewed in BKL; however, they don't do
exactly what you want (More of an overview). We have a book in our
library entitled The Whole Internet. It has chapters explaining the
differing Boolean logic which can be applied to the various search engines
and what the defaults are (as well as how to find them for each search
engine). To tell you the truth, I think this is where the strength of a
program such as yours would rest - because searching by term in any
search engine is easy - getting relavent hits is hard. One of the
difficulties in getting too specific here is that the search engines
change overnight - Yahoo adds a smaller search engine, expands its Boolean
commands, etc. Also, a portion on libraries dealing with objectionable
material on the 'Net might be very welcome. Hope this info. helps. J.
Scholtz.