Re: Recommendations for computer-related videos

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 08:54:17 -0700 (MST)

Annenberg/CPB released a series about computers a couple of years ago
entitled "The New Literacy, revised edition" which should provide the "processing" information
you're looking for plus other topics (26 programs, $29.95 ea; series
$350). It is excellent. Contact them at http://www.learner.org or
1-800-LEARNER. (PP rights included). In terms of learning specific
applications, most of the videos are software specific like the Video
Professor series. As a video reviewer for Booklist, I have reviewed 100s
of these titles and really find them less than satisfactory, but I do
realize that people learn in many different ways. Video Professor
programs use split screens showing the keyboard/computer screen with
voice-over narration. Video Professor (home exhibition rights only)
800-323-8900. Check back issues of Booklist for titles (or cumulative
year index). If you can get your hands on Pitman's Video Librarian
magazine/cumulative index or back issues of Video Rating Guide (now
defunct); these would provide you with a plethora of reviews. The Video
Professor series can be purchased through jobbers like Baker & Taylor,
Ingram, or Library Video Company also. Right now they are offering a
"free video" (if you pay $4.95 S/H) deliverable in 4-6 weeks if you call
that 800 number. Good luck - happy computing... JCS