Re: Video delivery

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:50:36 PST8PDT

Our system is almost identical to yours with one exception: we DO
NOT deliver videos and pick them up. We have 2 options for faculty.
One is closed circuit delivery to any classroom from our electronic
distribution center or the faculty member picks up the video and
returns it him/herself. We have a booking system and many faculty
book their requests for the entire semester early in the semester.

We discourage bookings that check out items for more than 3 days.

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:06:21 -0800
From: JROZGONYI <JROZGONYI@liber.ithaca.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Video delivery

I'm curious for responses from any academic media librarians
out there who can let me know if and how they handle delivery.

Here at Ithaca College, the collection of films (16mm) and videos
are part of the library. A separate media services dept. (not
part of the library) arranges for equipment distribution and
projection, but every classroom also has a TV/VCR combo so
faculty can show their own tapes. We deliver the 16mm prints
we own or rent to the media services people, but as it now
stands, we also deliver virtually every video cassette to
every faculty member who asks. The tapes are checked out in
their names on the library's circulation system, delivered to
the dept. secretary a day or two before showing, and then
picked up again by us from the secretary's office a day or
two after showing.

I'm curious to know if other LIBRARIES do this. I know that
a lot of media centers do deliveries, but do libraries --
with all the library procedures applying, such as loan periods
and fines -- also deliver and pick up. We don't deliver any
other items in the library's collections, only videos. Just to
give you an idea, 9 days into the semester we have nearly 500
deliveries and pick ups scheduled, of which approximately 325
are videos (as of 1 pm today).

I appreciate any comparative comments that can be offered. They
can come to me personally (JROZGONYI@LIBER.ITHACA.EDU), unless
there's lots of interest on the list in general.

Thanks -

Jay Rozgonyi
Media Librarian
Ithaca College