Re: Video delivery

Cathleen Cummings, Media Coordinator - SRJC (ccumming@floyd.santarosa.edu)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:07:50 -0800

At 11:06 AM 1/29/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm curious for responses from any academic media librarians
>out there who can let me know if and how they handle delivery.
>
>Here at Ithaca College, the collection of films (16mm) and videos
>are part of the library. A separate media services dept. (not
>part of the library) arranges for equipment distribution and
>projection, but every classroom also has a TV/VCR combo so
>faculty can show their own tapes. We deliver the 16mm prints
>we own or rent to the media services people, but as it now
>stands, we also deliver virtually every video cassette to
>every faculty member who asks. The tapes are checked out in
>their names on the library's circulation system, delivered to
>the dept. secretary a day or two before showing, and then
>picked up again by us from the secretary's office a day or
>two after showing.
>
>I'm curious to know if other LIBRARIES do this. I know that
>a lot of media centers do deliveries, but do libraries --
>with all the library procedures applying, such as loan periods
>and fines -- also deliver and pick up. We don't deliver any
>other items in the library's collections, only videos. Just to
>give you an idea, 9 days into the semester we have nearly 500
>deliveries and pick ups scheduled, of which approximately 325
>are videos (as of 1 pm today).
>
>I appreciate any comparative comments that can be offered. They
>can come to me personally (JROZGONYI@LIBER.ITHACA.EDU), unless
>there's lots of interest on the list in general.
>
>Thanks -
>
>Jay Rozgonyi
>Media Librarian
>Ithaca College
>JROZGONYI@LIBER.ITHACA.EDU

Even though we are Media Services I wanted to toss in my quarter's
worth. We are in the library and use the circulating system for CD's and
audio cassettes. We don't like the online reservation system for media and
equipment so still do it the old fashioned way, paper driven, and it works
great. Faculty has the choice of picking up their media or we deliver
directly to the classroom, we do not deliver to faculty offices. The
majority of our deliveries are handled by our student workers, one on duty
at all times. Most of our classrooms have the necessary equipment in them
so our equipment deliveries has really been cut back. We also oversee 11
viewing carrels for students as well as 1 large and 2 small viewing rooms.

Cathleen Cummings
Media Coordinator, Santa Rosa Junior College
1501 Mendocino Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA- USA 95401
ccumming@floyd.santarosa.edu