Re: Video delivery

Ron Saska (rsaska@jsucc.jsu.edu)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:18:11 -0600

JROZGONYI wrote:

> I'm curious for responses from any academic media librarians
> out there who can let me know if and how they handle delivery.
>
> Here at Ithaca College, the collection of films (16mm) and videos
> are part of the library. A separate media services dept. (not
> part of the library) arranges for equipment distribution and
> projection, but every classroom also has a TV/VCR combo so
> faculty can show their own tapes. We deliver the 16mm prints
> we own or rent to the media services people, but as it now
> stands, we also deliver virtually every video cassette to
> every faculty member who asks. The tapes are checked out in
> their names on the library's circulation system, delivered to
> the dept. secretary a day or two before showing, and then
> picked up again by us from the secretary's office a day or
> two after showing.
>
> I'm curious to know if other LIBRARIES do this. I know that
> a lot of media centers do deliveries, but do libraries --
> with all the library procedures applying, such as loan periods
> and fines -- also deliver and pick up. We don't deliver any
> other items in the library's collections, only videos. Just to
> give you an idea, 9 days into the semester we have nearly 500
> deliveries and pick ups scheduled, of which approximately 325
> are videos (as of 1 pm today).
>
> I appreciate any comparative comments that can be offered. They
> can come to me personally (JROZGONYI@LIBER.ITHACA.EDU), unless
> there's lots of interest on the list in general.
>
> Thanks -
>
> Jay Rozgonyi
> Media Librarian
> Ithaca College
> JROZGONYI@LIBER.ITHACA.EDU
Jay-

The media center of our library also handles the equipment so that we
were delivering both media and equipment at one time. This became an
impossible situation for two people to handle on a regualr basis,
especially when equipment gliched and extra time was needed to make the
necessary arrangements for repairs or new equipment. Most of our
classrooms do not have equipment in them because we do not have enough
to go around so it must travel from building to building.

We have releaved the media delivery business a bit by sending the media
through campus mail a day or two ahead of time and getting it back the
same way.

--
Ronald Saska
Jacksonville State University