Re: Internet film sources (fwd)

Kim Hale x5355 (
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:16:05 -0600 (CST)

Thought this might be of interest to VIDEOLIBBERS...

Kimberly Hale, Acquisitions Librarian/Coordinator of Collection Development
Columbia College Library
624 South Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60605
(312) 663-1600, x5355 (voice) (312) 663-1707 (fax)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 05:58:16 -0600
From: Steven Mintz, U. Houston <SMintz@UH.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list H-FILM <H-FILM@H-NET.MSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Internet film sources

From: IN%"" 27-JAN-1997 10:56:39.88

I conducted a workshop for our Film Studies Specialization students last
November and the following document is part of what I gave them. It is not
comprehensive as it is centered on the specific areas they indicated their
research was on. I hope it's of some use to you.

Search Engines:

Yahoo -- Movies and Films:
Deja News -- source for subject searching internet newsgroups:

Internet Movie Database:
The Motion Picture Guide:

Organizations, Libraries and Archives:

American Film Institute:
Library of Congress Early Motion Picture Site:
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences:
UCLA Film and Television Archive:
Director's Guild of America
Film Studies Association of Canada:
Museum of Broadcast Communications:

Imax the Technology:
Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers:
Movie Sound Page:
Dolby Lab News:
Film Formats:

Film History and Criticism:

GRAFICS Early Cinema Server (Universite de Montreal):
History of Communication Media Technologies:
Association francaise de recherche sur l'histoire du cinema
Taylorology (reprints of early magazine and newspaper articles on silent
film people):
University of Minnesota Movie Review Database:
SOFIA (Study of Film as Internet Application):
The File Room - Censorship:
Film Document Library (film genres):
Video: The Video and Movie Review Database (Iowa State):

Motion Picture Industry -- Students:

Independent Film & Video Makers Internet Resource Guide:
Mandy's Film & TV Directory:
Perequito Productions for film students and filmmakers:

Meta Guides and Links:

Berkeley Media Resources:
MCS Media and Communication Studies Site:
ScreenSite: Film & TV Resources:
Take Two (Internet Guide to Film & TV):
TV Links Film and Television Website Archive:
Cinema Sites:
France Cinema Multimedia:
Flicker (Alternative Cinema Site)
American Communication Association (scholarly links):
Media Related Listserv and E-Journals:

Media - Cinema periodicals/journals:
List of cinema/media journals (Web pages for journals -- not full-text)
Premiere Magazine:
The Hollywood Reporter:
Microsoft Cinemania Online:

Bibliographic access:

Electric Library (pay for full text, citations free)
Film History and Criticism Sources in the UC Berkeley Libraries:

Video and laserdisc sites:

Kino On-Line:
California Newsreel:
Video Oyster (Out of print, hard to find, rare (and therefore expensive)
Ken Crane's Laserdisc Superstore:

Interesting Specific Sites:

Stanley Kubrick Web Site:
Alfred Hitchcock WWW:
The Hitchcock Page:
Alfred Hitchcock Scholars Meet Here: the McGuffin Web Page:
The Martin Scorsese Page:
The Film 100 (the 100 most influential film people):
Cross-Cultural Film Guide (Africa, Asia, Latin America):
Women in Cinema -- A Reference Guide:

prepared by:

Oksana Dykyj,
Head, Visual Media Resources
Audio-Visual Department
Concordia University

November, 1996
Oksana Dykyj Tel: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources Fax: 514-848-3441
Audio-Visual Department H-342 Email:
Concordia University
1455 de Maisonneuve West
Montreal, QC, H3G 1M8