RE: STOLEN MATERIALS

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:35:00 PST8PDT

For minor charges, if a patron can't pay and needs our "hold" removed
from his/her records, we let the person work off the fine/s at the
rate of $6.00 per hour of work. This usually is cleaning, filing,
checking in books, etc. When we put a "hold" on a person's records I
mean that person not only can't check out any more items from the
library, but can't register for the next semester either.

By minor charges, I mean under $150.

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 07:53:59 -0800
From: MARYG -- OWATONNA <MARYG@SELCO.LIB.MN.US>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: RE: STOLEN MATERIALS

Ever tried to get blood out of a stone? You can have all the policies in the
world but some people just won't accept their responsibility. Obviously, you
can cut off library service if they won't pay up, but sometimes it just isn't
worth the time and effort it takes to force the issue. Maybe I've just been
doing this too long, but in our little corner, we've found that we build more
patron good will by bending our "rules" once in awhile. Actually, we had a
camcorder disappear a year ago because a patron claimed that it was stolen out
of his girlfriend's car. We even got the police involved in that one but they
had no insurance and obviously no money to replace the unit. Our insurance
kicked in but it left us all with a very bad taste. I'm less concerned about
the occasional book, tape or CD than I am the $1,500.00 piece of equipment.
Anyone got any foolproof polices on that?

Mary Gontarek
Media Services
Owatonna Public Library
Owatonna, MN