Re: copyright and student teaching

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@sdln.net)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 10:39:05 -0700 (MST)

The Fair use exemption is really not the one you should be concerned with
here - fair-use really pertains only to parts of works used within the
classroom. You should be concerned with the educational (teaching)
exemption mentioned in a different part of the copyright law. Although
this exemption is not a site license (meaning that its public performance
use is licensed only for specific sites), the educational exemption does
have 7 criteria to be met such as "face-to-face teaching," "grades or
certificate given out," etc. If these are met, and instruction is
occuring within a "school," even though it is not the college, I would
think the educational exemption would hold true.
(I'm not just shooting my mouth off - although I'm a Library Director now,
I have been an AV Librarian for 15 years and have written books about
video in libraries and AV copyright...)