Re: copyright and student teaching

Video Librarian (vidlib@kendaco.telebyte.com)
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 15:53:47 -0800 (PST)

Jay,

My take is that this situation falls under the face-to-face teaching
exemption, and would be an acceptable public performance. Although there
seems to be a lot of confusion over "fair use" (all the way up to ALA's
attorneys), fair use has more to do with showing a "portion" of a
copyrighted work than in performing the entire work--which falls under
public performance. Here, the expertise of the late Ivan Bender, who knew
this subject far better than I, is sorely missed.

Randy Pitman
Editor
Video Librarian
3672 NE Liverpool Dr.