Re: Taping from a broadcast.

HIRSCH Bonnie C (Bonnie.C.HIRSCH@ci.eugene.or.us)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 16:13:00 -0800

Thanks for the clarification. It had not occurred to me earlier that
they were illegal, which is why I was surprised. We don't do any such
taping here. A few years back, someone donated a series they had taped
off the air, but we did not add them to our collection.

Bonnie Hirsch
Eugene (Oregon) Public LIbrary
bonnie.c.hirsch@ci.eugene.or.us
----------
| From: Kristine R. Brancolini
| To: Multiple recipients of list
| Subject: Re: Taping from a broadcast.
| Date: Monday, October 28, 1996 12:18PM
|
| Bonnie: We only add off-air tapes to our collection that have been
| licensed. I'm assuming that other libraries are doing the same thing.
| You will see those records in OCLC for this library, but they are for
| legal copies only. Please do not assume that they are illegal just
| because they say "Taped off-air." And you will run into titles that
do
| not have pre-recorded counterparts. For example, we often add
| teleconferences to our collection and the only way to acquire them is
| tape them off the satellite.
|
| Kristine Brancolini
| Indiana University Libraries
| brancoli@indiana.edu
|
| On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, HIRSCH Bonnie C wrote:
|
| > This is interesting. One of my duties is copy cataloging AV from
OCLC.
| > Every so often I run into a record of something that says it was
taped
| > off-air, that has current holdings, and that is dated several years
ago.
| > Does this mean that those holdings are all illegal? I've never run
into
| > a title that didn't also have a record for the commercially
purchased
| > copy I'm cataloging.
| >
| > Bonnie Hirsch
| > Eugene (Oregon) Public Library
| > bonnie.c.hirsch@ci.eugene.or.us
| > ----------
| > | From: Judy Jones
| > | To: Multiple recipients of list
| > | Subject: Re: Taping from a broadcast.
| > | Date: Monday, October 28, 1996 7:57AM
| > |
| > | More or less, my interpretation for off-air recording and fair use
is
| > | this: you may, at the faculty member's request, record a program
| > | off-air. It must be used within 10 days for face-to-face
instruction
| > | and it may be used once more during that time for reinforcement.
The
| > | tape must be destroyed or recycled within 45 days. During that
time,
| > | hopefully one has purchased a legal copy if it is worthy of
keeping.
| > | A copy kept for educational or commercial purposes for two years
is
| > | very illegal.
| > |
| > | Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 04:09:11 -0800
| > | From: Appalshop@aol.com
| > | To: Multiple recipients of list
| > <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
| > | Subject: Taping from a broadcast.
| > |
| > | Gary,
| > |
| > | A Question -- A university in North Carolina called to ask if
they
| > could
| > | duplicate a video of ours to use in an anthropology class on
campus.
| > The
| > | problem -- they did not purchase the tape or rights to use the
tape
| > from
| > | Appalshop. Apparently (from a conversation with a professor who
| > wanted to
| > | copy the tape) it was taped from a public television broadcast
over
| > two years
| > | ago and is now being used in their media center.
| > |
| > | What are our rights? I understand that the copying of material
from a
| > | broadcast is legal if it is used an educational setting, but the
use
| > is
| > | limited to two weeks following the broadcast.
| > |
| > | As I am fairly new here, and no one else seems to know, what is
your
| > opinion?
| > | Is there a large publication in which I can purchase for
reference?
| > I need
| > | direction.
| > |