Re: Taping from a broadcast.

HIRSCH Bonnie C (Bonnie.C.HIRSCH@ci.eugene.or.us)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 09:21:00 -0800

This is interesting. One of my duties is copy cataloging AV from OCLC.
Every so often I run into a record of something that says it was taped
off-air, that has current holdings, and that is dated several years ago.
Does this mean that those holdings are all illegal? I've never run into
a title that didn't also have a record for the commercially purchased
copy I'm cataloging.

Bonnie Hirsch
Eugene (Oregon) Public Library
bonnie.c.hirsch@ci.eugene.or.us
----------

<videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
| Subject: Taping from a broadcast.
|
| Gary,
|
| A Question -- A university in North Carolina called to ask if they
could
| duplicate a video of ours to use in an anthropology class on campus.
The
| problem -- they did not purchase the tape or rights to use the tape
from
| Appalshop. Apparently (from a conversation with a professor who
wanted to
| copy the tape) it was taped from a public television broadcast over
two years
| ago and is now being used in their media center.
|
| What are our rights? I understand that the copying of material from a
| broadcast is legal if it is used an educational setting, but the use
is
| limited to two weeks following the broadcast.
|
| As I am fairly new here, and no one else seems to know, what is your
opinion?
| Is there a large publication in which I can purchase for reference?
I need