Auroratone Films (fwd)

zwier@eciad.bc.ca
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:19:36 -0700 (PDT)

I sent out a request on this subject earlier this year, but without the
details. Maybe somebody out there knows about these films and can help
David MacWilliam out. You may reply to him directly, or if you send it
to the list, I will forward the replies to him.

Donna

Donna Zwierciadlowski - Librarian EMail: zwier@eciad.bc.ca
Emily Carr Institute of Art & Design Phone: 604-844-3807
1399 Johnston Street Fax: 604-844-3801
Vancouver, B.C. V6J 3R9
Canada

From: David MacWilliam <dmacw@eciad.bc.ca>
Subject: Auroratone Films

I'm trying to locate copies of Cecil Stokes (1910-1956) Auroratone Films
from the late 1940's, I think they were put out by the Auroratone
Foundation of Hollywood. They were abstract color mobile patterns which
were used as colour therapy for the treatment of psychotic patients
(Journal of Clinical Psychology, October 1946: Herbert Rubin and Elias
Katz "Auroratone Films for the treatment of Psychotic Depressions in an
Army General Hospital).

The films were "growing expanding crystal formations photographed in
Technicolor with polarized light." I'm working on an interactice CD on
the history of color systems, and would like to include a quicktime clip
of these films in the color therapy part.

Thanks,
David MacWilliam