Re: Reminder

Judy Jones (JONESJM@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:01:18 PST8PDT

How about "Colossus: the Forbin Project"
Joel Barkers "The Business of Paradigms"
Anything from "The Day the Universe Changed" or "Connections"
Star Trek and Star Wars
Commercials that morph or that are real-looking but computer
generated.

In other words a comparison of life imitating art and art imitating
life.

judyjones@csus.edu. I teach some sociology courses with related
themes.

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:28:14 -0700
From: Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Reminder

Hi folks! Just a reminder: when posting a message to either list, please be sure to include your full address at bottom (this is standard netiquette). When posting queries re particular videos, i
's most helpful to include as much
information as possible re the work (as much as you know--was it aired on PBS?
How did you hear about it? etc.)

Etc.

And while I have you all captive, I have a request of my own:

I'm gonna be teaching a course this Spring (a freshman/sophomore seminar) tentatively entitled: "Screening the Machine: Technology, Anxiety, and the Movies."
It's going to focus on the treatment of technology and technological developmentin the movies over time. I'll also be using newsreels and print stuff to provide socio-cultural context for the films
we watch.

So, here's the deal: I have a long roster of likely films (Man with a Movie Camera; Metropolis; Modern Times; Things to Come; Playtime; Deskset; a few Tex Avery Cartoons (The Modern House); some nu
lear paranoia stuff (Attack of the 50'
Woman, etc); Robocop; Terminator; Bladerunner; War Games; The Net; Virtuosity...and blah blah blah.

I'm still compiling my list, however, and would love to hear about your cool ideas for stuff to watch. I'm going to try a chronological approach with thematic
focus within this structure (city as machine; body as machine; machine as creator; machine as destroyer...)

Want to play? All suggestions greatly appreciated. It'd be particularly usefulto get recommendations for 20's, 30's, and 40's films. Also: if you have
articles on the subject of science/tech and the movies, I'd love to hear about
them...

Cheers!

Gary Handman
UC Berkeley