Re: Somalia

Mon, 14 Oct 1996 11:00:10 -0500 (EST)

This is your lucky day! Indiana University has the largest collection of
Somali publications in the United States and one of the largest in the
world. In order to make this collection as comprehensive as possible, we
are also attempting to acquire all videos about Somali. We have 22 at
this time. Some of them are general overviews of the country, some are
very specialized programs, and many deal with the U.S. military
intervention there. The following titles are the most general and most
likely to be of interest. Please email me if you want specific
information about acquiring any of these tapes. You can also search our
catalog via the web: www.indiana.edu/~libweb/catalog.html. Then do a
keyword search: k=videorecording and somalia. You will get the complete
list.

Somalia: a paradise destroyed. 1993. 48 minutes. A vidid and
descriptive account of Somalia at the end of the last century up to the
present day, with special emphasis on events since 1960.

Somalia: feed to kill. 1993. Gives a brief background on the situation
in Somalia including the support of a despicable dictatorship by the
United States and discusses the strategic location of Somalia and its
rich mineral resources and how Operation Restore Hope was not simply a
humanitarian mission.

Civil war in Somalia. 1992. 23 minutes. One of many programs that
appeared on ABC's Frontline about Somalia. Ted Koppel interviews a UN
official, a representative of a human rights group, Africa Watch, and an
official from Save the Children (UK).

Somalia diary. 1992. 23 minutes. Also a Frontline episode, but more
than a news broadcast. As U.S. troops prepare to move into Somalia,
Nightline presents a private view of a dying nation's humanity from one
of America's top filmmakers: Phil Alden Robinson. Robinson, who is best
known for his directorial efforts in feature films such as "Fields of
Dreams" and "Sneakers," shows us the anarchy taking place in Somalia and
the efforts of various agencies as they try to feed Somalia's starving
people.

Please post additional titles to the list, as I am always looking for new
titles on Somalia for our collection.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries
brancoli@indiana.edu