Re: Looking for Caribbean films...

California Newsreel (newsreel@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 17:56:24 -0700

Dear Ms. Chapman:

I believe that THE HARDER THEY COME is/was available from Films Inc. in
Chicago.

Neither Simeon nor Sarah Maldoror's film on Cesaire has a US
distributor. I'm happy to see that California Newsreel jas just picked
up an excellent new documentary by Euzhan Palcy on Aime Cesaire. It's
in three parts, each about 50 minutes dealing with various aspects of
his literary and political life. We also have Isaac Julien's new
documentary on another Martinican, Frantz Fanon, a film of the same
name. And finally a new documentary on the multicultural society of
French Guyana, AWARA SOUP. Please send your postal address for more
information.

Cornelius Moore

You wrote:

>Can anyone help with these Caribbean titles? Many thanks in advance...
>
>1. The Harder They Come, made by **Percy Henzell (I don't think I
have his
>name quite right.) An excellent Reggae music film, made for a
>popular>audience, but better & better each time
>

>2. Simeon, by **Euzhan Palcy also.
>
>3. Sarah Maldoror is Martiniquean, and made a film about Cesaire
(don't
>remember title), as well as a film about Angolan Reevolution called
>4. **Sambizanga.
> She married the number 2 man in the MPLA, in Angola, and the film is
>strongly tilted
>towards their cause. Excellent film, based on novel by Luandino
Vieira.

>%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Virginia A. Chapman
> Media Center, University
Libraries
> PO Box 90001, VPI & SU
> Blacksburg, Va
24062-9001

(540)231-2708

--
=  California Newsreel                                              =