Re: latchkey kids in academic libs

Marguerite Hawkins (mhawkins@swin.edu.au)
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 16:00:36 +0000

> Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 16:31:12 -0700
> From: RRosen@lmumail.lmu.edu
> To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: latchkey kids in academic libs

> hi.
>
> lately, we have been noticing that grad. students and staff
> have been setting their kids up in the media dept. armed with
> enough videos (ours and theirs) to last through a 3 hour class,
> or sadly, an 8 hour workday.
>
> do any of you ACADEMIC libraries have written policies about
> unattended children in the library? my boss is mostly concerned
> about the liability and risk involved and i am of course concerned
> with the kids working the equipment.
>
> any information will be appreciated - either on the list or to
> me directly. THANKS,
>
> rhonda rosen
> loyola marymount university
> rrosen@lmu.lmumail.edu

Here at Swinburne University we do have a policy that children are
not allowed to use the video players. (we are not a child-minding
centre) The equipment is predominately for study purposes. Our
responsibility is to our students and teaching staff. Our
technicians are also concerned with damage due to incorrect usage. As
you are well aware there is no standardisation and each machine has
its own variety of buttons. We do politely point this out to our
students and staff. (those that want to dump their children) We also
remind them if there is an evacuation of the library (training or
real - we have regular safety evacuations) their children are very
vunerable and it could be a very frightening experience for them and
that there are some very strange people who roam the library for god
knows what reason. We do have to deal with some stroppy parents form
time to time, but we remain firm on our policy.

Marguerite
mhawkins@swin.edu.au>