Re: latchkey kids in academic libs

Stephen O'Riordan (soriordan@ucsd.edu)
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 07:48:30 -0700

Rhonda,

Just this year the Univ.of Calif.at San Diego Libraries developed a policy
on this issue. Guidelines were written up, in general restricting children
from all the UCSD libraries (w/ exceptions of course). I am sure that if
you E-Mail Phyllis Mirsky, Assoc Univ. Librarian, she could send you a copy
of the guidelines.

Stephen
At 04:32 PM 9/3/96 -0700, you wrote:
> hi.
>
> lately, we have been noticing that grad. students and staff
> have been setting their kids up in the media dept. armed with
> enough videos (ours and theirs) to last through a 3 hour class,
> or sadly, an 8 hour workday.
>
> do any of you ACADEMIC libraries have written policies about
> unattended children in the library? my boss is mostly concerned
> about the liability and risk involved and i am of course concerned
> with the kids working the equipment.
>
> any information will be appreciated - either on the list or to
> me directly. THANKS,
>
> rhonda rosen
> loyola marymount university
> rrosen@lmu.lmumail.edu