External Review for Promotion and Tenure
deg farrelly (ICDEG@asuvm.inre.asu.edu)
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 17:33:35 -0700 (MST)
Cross-posted to CCUMC-L, Media-L, and VideoLib. Apologies for duplication.
Librarians at ASU West go through a promotion and tenure process
comparable to the process for faculty.
We would like to strengthen the component of our process which requires
an external review of the candidate.
I am seeking advice and insight on any of the following questions:
1. What criteria are used to select external reviewers?
2. What information is provided to an external reviewer?
3. On what is an external reviewer asked to comment and in what terms?
4. What is the assessment of the quality of the external review
letters you receive?
5. Have you any mechanisms by which to try to improve the quality
of external review letters?
I am not looking for discussion/debate on whether librarians *should*
be promoted and tenured like faculty.
Replies only from academic institutions in which librarians or media
personnel have faculty status (or equivalent) and go through a
promotion and tenure (or equivalent) process, please.
Also, replies directly to me, please. If there is interest, I will
summarize and post summaries to the list.
Thank you for your assistance.
deg farrelly, Media Librarian
Arizona State University West E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
4701 West Thunderbird Road Phone: 602.543.8522
Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100 Fax: 602.543.8521