Re: Damaged Video & Copyright

Tue, 28 May 1996 21:21:52 -0500 (EST)

Steve: This doesn't seem like a copyright question to me. There's
nothing in the copyright law that says you cannot repair a videotape you
have purchased. I would, however, inquire about replacing the tape
first. That would be the best solution. You seem to suggest that they
will give you credit on a replacement copy that you might want later. I
would go ahead and try to replace the tape now. The splice will weaken
the tape and increase the probability that the tape will be completely
ruined sometime soon. But if you want to try splicing the tape now, that
shouldn't affect your discussions with the distributor later.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries
brancoli@indiana.edu