Re: Damaged Video & Copyright

Jean McCarron (jean@nvdpl.north-van.bc.ca)
Tue, 28 May 1996 16:54:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 28 May 1996, Steve Cassel -SLO wrote:

> My library has a video (priced over $700), that in the
> course of circulation, has become damaged. The damage is in
> the first two minutes of the video, the rest of the title is
> undamaged. I am uncertain, due to copyright laws, if I can
> perform a minor splicing repair. What about the legality
> questions, if a repair was made, with the spine label of the
> videocassette having been cut in two, and then requesting a
> trade-in of a damaged video? The distributor of this video
> places graphics on the beginning of the video, registering
> the copy to my library, and they seem to take a very narrow
> view to any variations in the copyright laws.
> So... can a repair be made and might there be a problem
> with a trade-in if, the videocassette had been repaired and
> additional damage occured at a later time?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steven Cassel

The first thing I'd do is contact the distributor and ask what it would
cost for a replacement. I usually negotiate some sort of deal ahead of
time for a very expensive video and most producers will replace for a
very reasonable amount. So it's worth a try.

If you have no luck...I cannot imagine that there is any violation of
copyright in the US for repairing a tape with a splice.. You are not altering the content or the format and you are not
copying anything are you?

Jean A. McCarron
Audiovisual Coordinator
North Vancouver District Public Library