Re: Films on Black cross cultural dialogues

Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:36:30 -0700 (PDT)

You might give the following a shot:

Are We Different?: Young African Americans Talk About Cultural
Difference and Race in America. Film gives voice to African-American
students around the country as they articulate issues of race, racisim,
and race relations. The discussion ranges from whether stylistic
differences between whites and blacks are superficial or profound, and
the causes and nature of anger and frustration in the black community.
Students also question why "blackness" is suddenly so fashionable and
talk about black culture with its special speech patterns and gestures
and black sprituality and energy. 30 min.
Filmakers Library, c1992

The Color of Fear.
Eight North American men of Asian, European, Latino and African
descent talk together about how racism affects them. 90 min. Oakland,
CA: Stirfry Productions

Foreign Talk.
A Chinese American woman is confronted by two African American men
while riding a commuter train. An excellent short narrative for
discussions about cross-cultural understanding, communication and
stereotypes. 11 min. San Francisco, CA : CrossCurrent Media ;
National Asian American Telecommunications Association, 1993.

In Plain English.
Made by filmmaker Julia Lesage. African-American, Asian-American,
Pacific Islander, Chicano/Latin American and Native American
undergraduate and graduate students discuss their expectations about
college life before they came to the University of Oregon and the
reality they encountered while at the university and they examine their
experiences with racism and discrimination. 42 min.
Eugene, Or. : Julia Lasage, 1992.

The Politics of Love - In Black and White.
Confronts interracial romance on America's campuses. 33 min. San
Francisco, CA : California Newsreel, 1993.

Sa-I-Gu.
Explores the embittering effect the Rodney King verdict rebellion
had on a group of Korean American women shopkeepers. It underscores the
shattering of the American Dream while taking the media to task for
playing up the "Korean-Black" aspect of the rioting. This film
provides a perspective that is essential to discussions of the L.A.
riots, ethnic relations, and racism in the United States. 39 min.
San Francisco: NAATA

School Colors.
This in-depth documentary looks at a turbulent year at Berkeley High
School in California, focusing on teachers, students, and parents
struggling with the question of whether diversity will enrich
American society or tear it apart. 143 min. PBS

Skin Deep.
A diverse group of college students reveal their honestfeelings and
attitudes about race and racism. Students from 3 major
universities are
interviewed alone on topics including the climate toward talking
about race
on campus, self separation of ethnic groups, discrimination,
affirmative
action policies and individual responsibility for change.
Concludes with a
diverse group of 23 students from 6 major American universities who
spent 3 days together to collectively challenge one another with
dialogue
focusing on such topics as the concept of individual
responsibility, feeling
separated from each other, wanting others to understand and what
can be
done to move awareness to action. 53 min. Berkeley, CA: Iris
Films, c1995 (also available from NAATA, I think)

You might also want to take a look at the National Asian American
Telecommuniations Assn (NAATA) catalog at the following web site:
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/NAATACAT.html

Good luck!

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000