Re: Films videos on Black Spirituality

Stephen O'Riordan (soriordan@ucsd.edu)
Wed, 03 Apr 1996 08:42:12 -0800

At 12:01 PM 4/2/96 -0800, you wrote:

>I am curating a series on black spirituality/religion. I am not limiting
>it to Christianity I would like to look at that as well as Traditional
>African Spirituality, Islam, Rastafarian, Judaism, Voodoo Practisses any
>spirtual practise
>that that is used by the peoples of African or the Diaspora. Can anyone
>suggest titles and distributors?
>
>Thank You
>Lorna Johnson

Lorna,

Here a couple of titles that get used quite often & may be of help.

Bahia: Africa In The Americas
Les Maitres Fou
The King Does Not Lie:The Initiation Of A Shango Priest
Yeelen
Sorcerer's Village

You should look at The Human Studies Film Archive, Guide to Ethnographic
Collections. HSFA number is 202 357-3349.

Good Luck

Stephen

Stephen O'Riordan
Film/Video Library