Re: Multimedia/Film/Audiovisual Librarianship

Druda (edruda@suffolk.lib.ny.us)
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 14:25:24 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Kim Hale x5355 wrote:

> An MLS student from my Alma Mater is interested in becoming a Film or
> Multimedia Librarian. Because my title is neither, I wanted to post this
> to find out "the state of film/multimedia/audiovisual librarianship" from
> the experts out there. My guess is that like other specialzed fields, the
> numbers are few and the available positions are fewer. I am hoping that
> some of you would share your thoughts on the subject.

I would agree that the AV world is shrinking in one way, but expanding in
another. There's not much happening in the world of film for public
libraries, but videos are still hanging on and music cd's, cd-roms, and
audiobooks are booming. As these die out they will be replaced by new
technologies. I would advise your student to keep abreast of new ideas
and not be afraid to try new things, that's the nature of the beast.

Ellen

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ellen Druda
edruda@suffolk.lib.ny.us