Re: Russian cinema

Henry K Mattoon (hkm@crl.com)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 17:15:41 -0800 (PST)

Kackie,

I'm out of the office until next Tuesday, so don't have access to our
database, but I'd suggest you contact either Max Ducey at the Wisconsin
Center for Film & Theater Research (State Historical Society of
Wisconsin, Madison) or Vance Kepley, prof. in Communication Arts. Kepley
was responsible for acquiring for the center many, many soviet film
titles several years ago. I believe all these films are in the original
version, meaning no foreign language subtitles or dubbing. I am not sure
if they are in 16 or 35.

I know some cataloging work was done on them beginning a few years ago,
tedious work translating/transliterating screen titles and credits, can
labels, accompanying documentation. However, as I understand it, a good
bit of this work has been done.

I'd suggest you call Vance, who is an expert on Soviet film, and he
should be able to tell you more about the Wisconsin holdings or he could
certainly direct you to other possible sources. Max, the film archivist
at WCFTR, would be very much worth contacting as well, for additional
information.

Sorry I don't have either of their phone numbers handy, but I can get
them for you next Tuesday, if you wish. Also, let me know if you'd like
me to search our database as well.
?1;2c
Best,

Henry K. Mattoon __
Director, /<>\___
National Moving Image Database (NAMID) /<> \___
The American Film Institute /<> <>/
Los Angeles, CA /<> <>/
213.856.7702 /<> <>/
hkm@crl.com /<>_ <>/