Re: Commercial Advertising

Wendy L. Young (wly@gml.lib.uwm.edu)
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 09:51:07 CST

I, for one, have no objection to this type of message...and in fact,
appreciated the info. I felt the message was straightforward and was
simply meant to share new information with a population that would
have a direct interest in it. I was surprised from the negative
reaction from Kansas. I just hit "delete" when the message is
offensive to me or doesn't apply to me...similar to the "off" button
on my tv remote. For what it's worth....

Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 20:03:36 -0800
From: sbliss@interaccess.com (Steve Bliss)
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Commercial Advertising

As a vendor to libraries, I found Mr. Jones's objection to Vide-O-Go's
posting about the PRIDE AND PREJUDICE video set intriguing on several points:

1. I believe the posting was in response to a specific request for
information from a librarian.

2. I have read a great number of other postings of a "commercial" nature in
this list, most of them significantly longer than the Vide-O-Go posting in
question, but have not noticed any objections to these.

3. I have never been advised of any prohibition against postings of this
sort. The only proviso I have seen is that subscribers email privately in
response to these postings.

I have had the pleasure of working with video librarians for a number of
years and have also enjoyed serving with ALA groups such as VRT and the PLA
A/V Committee, as well as helping to support ALA and PLA annual and regional
conferences through exhibition fees. I have always found that this spirit of
partnership between libraries and their suppliers makes doing business in
this arena a pleasant task.

I will be interested to see if other subscribers to this list feel that "the
participation of companies and individuals for commercial gain should be
prohibited," to quote Mr. Jones, who, incidentally, also includes the lines
"The First Amendment Lives--Fight Censorship of All Types" in his signature.

Steve Bliss 800-826-3456 x385
Public Media Home Video 312-878-8406 (fax)
5547 N. Ravenswood Avenue sbliss@interaccess.com
Chicago, IL 60640 blissman1@aol.com
74361.2206@cserve.com
steve_bliss@msn.com