Re: Old English Materials

DELAP@cariboo.bc.ca
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 13:05:00 -0800 (PST)

Thomas Howe Media of Vancouver have an excellent video BEOWULF: A GREAT
CRY AT DAWN 1991, 28 mins. Co-produced by Caritas/Simon Fraser University.
It has an introductory section, followed by a reading in the original OE,
with modern subtitles so that students can follow along. You can get a
feel for the power of the poem.
Their email is "thamedia@wimsey.com"
tel:604-687-4215, fax:604-688-8349. I contacted them and U.S. sales look
OK so passed on Marsha's email address.
Rose Delap

> Subj: Old English Materials

> We are putting together teacher materials to supplement the study of Beowulf
> in a high school English literature course. Does anyone know of a video that
> could give students an idea of what living was like during the Anglo-Saxon
> period. We would also prefer that in some way students be able to hear what
> old English sounds like. We are looking for a program that is not static like
> a remade filmstrip. We do have The Story of English, Part 2: The Mother
> Tongue which does some of this, but we would like to have some other options.
> thanks in advance.
>
> Marsha Korobkin
> Audiovisual Services Coordinator
> San Diego City Schools
> email: Marsha_Korobkin@qm.sdcs.k12.ca.us

Rose Delap EMail - delap@cariboo.bc.ca
Library Voice - (604) 828-5306
University College of the Cariboo Fax - (604) 828-5313