Re: cdrom video database

Daniel Donnelly (d-donn@tc.umn.edu)
Wed, 15 Nov 95 10:08:17 -0600

At 05:51 AM 11/15/95 -0800, you wrote:
>In planning for next year's budget, I have asked for a PC with
>CD-Rom drive in order to continue our service of film/video rentals.
>I plan to purchase one or more of the cdrom databases that have
>"replaced" the Educational Film and Video Locator.
>I know that some of the rental libraries have put their catalogs
>on line now.
> Is it wise to go ahead and invest in the CD-ROM and new computer for
>now? The reason I ask this is that I can imagine that the information will
>be available to everyone within a year or two over the internet?
> What do your crystal balls foretell?

I think the CD-ROM workstation is a good investment. As multimedia grows, in
the world of educational technology, desktop delivery will grow too. I
expect you'll see more products than reference tools that will be attractive
to your users, and not all of those products will be available in networked
environments.

Daniel Donnelly, Library Manager
University of Minnesota Libraries
Learning Resources Center