Re: Dewey class videos

Tony Neal (tony@linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us)
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 10:34:48 -0800 (PST)

I second Ralph's comments. Some of us have been working for years
against those librarians who first considered video a faddish medium that
would soon go away. Most of those same librarians now know the value of
that particular medium to the overall success of a library's collection.
Only those still unwilling to treat videos as closely as possible to
books feel no need to give them their proper dewey classifications or
acknowledge their value.

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Ralph Huntzinger wrote:

> Joel,
> An observation behind my philosophical "if you can't find it,
> you don't own it" -- KCLS uses DYNIX circulation system and having all
> items in "logical order" both reduces staff time searching requests from
> the computer request printouts (RHA) and the incidents of "can't find it,
> let some other branch look for it". Our large regional libraries each
> shelve close to 4,000 nonfiction videos, with Bellevue shelving closer to
> 6,000; making it easy for staff to find materials is a practical
> consideration.
> Ralph
>
> Ralph E. Huntzinger ralphunt@rain.kcls.lib.wa.us
> Media Services
> King County Library System voice: (206) 684-6673
> 300 8th Ave. N. fax: (206) 684-5590
> Seattle, WA 98109

Tony Neal
Media Librarian