Re: Multimedia CD-ROMs

Daniel Donnelly (d-donn@tc.umn.edu)
Tue, 24 Oct 95 10:09:31 -0500

At 07:28 PM 10/23/95 -0700, you wrote:
>I know I've asked this question before and come up empty-handed. Six months
>later, I'm hoping the situation has changed. Does anyone out there have
>a collection development policy for multimedia CD-ROMs? Would you be willing
>to let me take a look at it? Thanks!
>
>Kristine Brancolini
>Indiana University Libraries
>brancoli@indiana.edu

Kris,

At Minnesota we're, like you, just beginning to delve into systematic
collection of multimedia materials. We'll be devising a collection policy
over the next few months and hope to have something for all the library's
selectors by Winter Quarter.

In general we're now planning to collect multimedia CD-ROMs that demonstrate
the range of possibility with digital technology such as product samples
from software developers and the publishing industry. We will also collect
content which supports university curricula and research.

In addition, we intend to develop a collection of research literature, both
monographic and serial, that explores multimedia from many pedagogical
perspectives and provides current information about product development.
Trade literature and scholarly publications will be routinely reviewed for
selection.

Finally, modes of electronic publishing will be considered for selection.
Web sites, database subscription, and electronic journals seem likely to be
the major areas to examined, and for which some policy may emerge.

I'll be happy to share more with you as formal policies take shape.

Daniel Donnelly, Library Manager
University of Minnesota Libraries
Learning Resources Center
d-donn@tc.umn.edu