Re: Hans Jurgen Syberberg Film

Milos Stehlik (milos@interaccess.com)
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 19:30:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 Oct 1995, guy cribdon wrote:

> One of our patrons is looking for a film produced by Hans Jurgen
> Syberberg in 1977 called *Our Hitler - A Film from Germany*. It is over
> seven hours long and combines puppetry, music and live character actors
> in dealing with the Holocaust. It was both controversial and critically
> acclaimed. Stephen Lewis interviewed Syberberg for CBC-FM's Stereo
> Morning series a number of years ago, and their conversation was
> reproduced in *Art Out of Agony: The Holocaust Theme in Literature,
> Sculpture and Film* (published by the CBC in 1984).
>
> Does anyone know if this title is available in video format, and, if so,
> who the distributor is? Variety's Video Directory did not list it.

The U.S. rights to OUR HITLER: A Film from Germany are (or were, the
last that I know) held by Tom Luddy at American Zoetrope who released
the film theatrically. It has never been available on video in the U.S.,
as is the case for the rest of Syberberg's interesting body of work
(Confessions of Winifred Wagner, or The Night) with one singular
exception, Syberberg's novel staging of Wagner's PARSIFAL.

Best,

Milos Stehlik
Facets Video