Re: Urgent video search

Video Librarian (vidlib@kendaco.telebyte.com)
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 20:59:52 -0700 (PDT)

Kristine,

I've thought about putting "Video Librarian" back issues into a CD-ROM
format, but haven't gone much further than that. The problem is that the
market is just not big enough--eager video enthusiasts on this listserv
notwithstanding--to justify the effort it would take. I found the recent
demise of "Video Rating Guide for Libraries" to be a rather sobering
experience (as well as the fact that it looks like "Library Journal" has
finally moved video reviews to the very back of the magazine--past the
audiobooks). Video continues to be ignored by the professional journals,
and is presently suffering from all of the attention that the newer,
sexier formats and technologies (CD-ROM and the Internet) are receiving.
The professional journals don't give video the attention it deserves, and
video producers don't spend enough on advertising to justify increasing
the editorial coverage. It's basically a lose-lose situation. Well...you
asked a simple question, not for a sermon. Maybe someday, I'll be able to
put VL on CD-ROM.

Randy Pitman

Editor
Video Librarian