Re: Videos in the Classroom

Kristine Brancolini, 812/855-3710 (BRANCOLI@cluster.ucs.indiana.edu)
Thu, 12 Oct 95 09:56:32 EWT

From: PO3::"videolib@library.berkeley.edu" 12-OCT-1995 09:38:06.63
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
CC:
Subj: Re: Videos in the Classroom

>From: PO4::"videolib@library.berkeley.edu" 5-OCT-1995 17:33:05.96
>To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
>CC:
>Subj: Re: Videos in the Classroom
>

> Tony: The face-to-face teaching exemption says that it must be a
> legally acquired copy. It *does not* say you have to own the...

Stan: You may be right, but I don't recall anyone mentioning
excerpting -- just face-to-face teaching. On the other hand,
where does it say that you have to own the copy if you want to
excerpt from it? By "excerpting" I assume you mean taking clips
from the film/video and compiling them on another tape or some
other storage medium. Are you referring to the proposed fair use
guidelines for multimedia? Thanks for the clarification.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries
brancoli@indiana.edu

I wonder if many of us are getting confused between the Face to Face
teaching exemption which simply states that you must use a "legally
acquired copy, and the Fair Use Guidelines which states that if you are
excerpting under fair use, you must own a copy of the program. It is my
understanding that you may not rent a tape and excerpt from it under fair
use.

STAN DIAMOND
MANAGER OF AUDIO VISUAL SERVICES
1127 FOX HILL ROAD