Re[2]: Videos in the Classroom

pmeans (pmeans@austinc.edu)
Fri, 06 Oct 95 12:18:20 EST

Subject: Re: Videos in the Classroom
After attending a meeting of the Association for Higher Education Media
Subcommittee meeting at SMU, that consisted of a panel of copyright lawyers, I
was of the impression that it was not the media centers' responsibility to
police how their equipment is used. They did suggest however that a
disclaimer be attached to each VCR that the media center is not responsible
for how the equipment is used. Our media center is so small that policing the
equipment everwhere it is setup would be quite impossible. Anyone elses
opinion on this would be greatly appreciated.

Pat Means
Abell Library Educational Media Center
Austin College
Sherman, TX

Author: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Date: 10/6/95 11:29 AM

Randy
Me again. I just wrote this guy the same thing before reading your message
Great minds think mostly alike.
By the way on the face to face issue, there are some groups that
deliberately abuse it. I get various groups (mostly at colleges) who show a
film in a classroom maybe with a speaker and then claim since its
educational its covered. I get pretty pissed about this. Public Libraries
are very good, I know of only one that ever deliberately violated
copywright, but Univerisity libraries are often much worse. They often
think that because they are at a university any showing of a tape is
covered. Much of the copywright violation at colleges is done by groups
that media people have no direct control over, but I do get annoyed when
the loan out their equipement without asking questions. Just thought I'd
put in my two cents from the distributors side.

Jessica

Kino International Corporation
333 W. 39th St. Suite 503
New York, NY 10018