Re: Videos in the Classroom

Tony Neal (tony@linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 15:27:56 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with what's been said on this subject so far, but isn't one of
the prohibitions against using library tapes to show in other
places--daycares, elementary schools, etc.--is that the showing entity
must *own* the tape outright, and not be using some other entities' tape,
i.e. a public library? This was touted as true a couple of years ago,
but I never knew if it were true or not.

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Kino International wrote:

> It would be hard to argue that WINNIE THE POOH was being used for teaching
> purposes to kindergardeners. Any standard classroom teaching use would be
> OK.
> The FACE TO FACE exemption isn't that complicated. If the video is being
> used in a course limited to a specific group of enrolled students, it
> should not be a problem. No matter what a distributor tells you, if you
> purchase a legal copy of the title, it is covered by the exemption for
> classroom use. The two tiered pricing can't be enforced, because once a
> title is available to the general market it is available for classroom. You
> may be forced to buy a tape with PUBLIC PERFORMANCE RIGHTS if the tape is
> not available any other way. You should check carefully before you buy.
> Many libraries want Public Performance Rights so the tapes can be used for
> public screenings or an campus cable systems.
>
> Jessica Rosner
> Kino International
>
> Kino International Corporation
> 333 W. 39th St. Suite 503