Re: Videos in Elementary Classrooms

Video Librarian (vidlib@kendaco.telebyte.com)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:05:06 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

It's been awhile since I've written something on the subject of
copyright, but as far as I know the law hasn't changed. Therefore, if the
kindergarten used the program in a face-to-face teaching situation as
part of a curriculum-related session, then regardless of whether the tape
was "home use only" or cleared for public performance doesn't matter. The
kindergarten would have been on firm legal ground in showing the tape.
This is spelled out quite clearly in the Kastenmeier guidelines
for educational use of audio-visual materials.

Randy Pitman

Editor
Video Librarian